GeekChick's Reviews > Caesar's Women

Caesar's Women by Colleen McCullough

Apr 14, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: dont-bother

I could barely stomach what little I read of this book. I was very excited, because I found this one right as I was discovering historical fiction for the first time. I was sorely let down. Repeated references to various women as "juicy" was so low-brow, I felt like I was reading a trashy romance novel. I kept the book around, thinking I might pick it back up, but after several years I just got rid of it. Why waste time when there are so many quality tomes out there?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caesar's Women.

message 1: by Mourice (new)

Mourice Houlette You two prudes should join a convent and read the Bible all day long. That truly historical fiction.

Nenia *the flagrant liberal* Campbell I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there who did not enjoy this book. :)

Raiveran Rabbit I'm stunned someone picked up something this dry and noticed something like that. the thing's over 1000 pages of politics and wars and you opened it to a page about chicks. Stunning.

I wouldn't say I liked it either, but it was interesting and I can certainly appreciate it.

Julie Turner Without doubt the series is an absolute work of art. With so much historical fact, political fact and details of the atrocities of the time it's hardly romantic garbage.
They are a joy to read and savour and will stay on my bookcase to be re-read and cherished