Karolyn Keith's Reviews > Animal Farm / 1984

Animal Farm / 1984 by George Orwell

Aug 23, 2011

liked it
Read in August, 2011

At first, it had taken me a little while to finally get into this book. In the beginning I did not like it because it seemed to be just another boring book. Yet after the first one-hundred pages, more action began to take place and my interest level raised from not interested to very interested. This book was very good. Often confusing at certain parts, but a good read. After reading this book all I could think was how glad I was to not live in a society like Winston Smith's (the main character). The lifestyle was full of confusion and hatred. No one knew the truth, yet no one bothered asking what was behind closed doors. Everyone was exposed through the telescreens. Anything that seemed to not fit the norm, it was suspected that people were up to know good and for most of the time, they were destroyed. Vaporized. It would have taken a strong, courageous person to want to turn against the Big Brother and stand up for what they believed was fact. Not one person would who stood against Big Brother stayed alive. Winston Smith (the main character) was courageous and no matter what did not let people influence him. He was an individual who did not follow the rules at all. Winston Smith faced many struggles in that society. He had two important people in his life he deeply cared for, O'Brein and a woman named Julia. One of them ends up turning on him and takes the book for a whirl wind. That is what made it interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Farm / 1984.