Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Blood Blockade Battlefront Volume 1

Blood Blockade Battlefront Volume 1 by Yasuhiro Nightow

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: aliens, arc, creatures, first-in-series, manga, mythology-misc, natural-disaster, near-future, sci-fi, young-adult
Read from August 19 to 23, 2011

I want to rate this one higher, but it really didn't catch me the way a first volume should. It assumes too much about the characters that it introduces and expects the reader to identify with the wit and pacing despite the lack of characterization. Even the main character is disappointingly flat and his one emotional outburst doesn't provoke a similar response in the reader. The concept is very interesting: an alternate dimension or world intersects with our own and establishes a community in New York City (now Jerusalem's Lot). I want to know the explanation behind the name change too... Some of the humor was actually amusing, but much of it either wasn't (at least to me) or seemed too much too soon. For one thing, the jump between the first adventure and the second must have been fairly significant, but there is no sign to how long. It just felt very disjointed.

There's quite a bit of violence, though not as much as I expected (with a lot of it occurring off-screen or just out of view). There is a scene where one of the male characters is completely nude but for a strategically placed pizza box... (which was weird and unnecessary in my opinion). There might have been some language, the overall tone was definitely for teenagers at the youngest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Blockade Battlefront Volume 1.