Sue's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

3642045
Sep 25, 11

bookshelves: american-southern, classics, fiction, race, favorites, read-in-2011, library-book
Read from September 15 to 25, 2011

As I said before, what a wonderful book. The characters are so well written and the setting actually seems to come to life in my mind. The tug of right and wrong on Scout as she grows through childhood in the deep South includes learning issues of race in day to day living. Having a father like Atticus means that lessons will be learned in a different way, not through books, but through actions. Scout and Jem see what their father and other townspeople do from day to day in reaction to life's changes. They also see what happens when Atticus defends a black man charged with the crime of rape. This will probably lead to Scout's biggest lesson: acceptance of self and others.

Part of me wonders if I may actually have read this before....some scenes were just so right and almost as if remembered. If so, it must have been a very long time ago as I have no real memory of having done so.

As others have said, I recommend it for everyone. I'm also glad I read it while discussing The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration.
35 likes · Likeflag

09/23/2011 page 114
35.0% "what a wonderful book."

Barbara Isn't this book wonderful? Do you picture Gregory Peck while reading?

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I haven't actually started it yet. I intended to start yesterday and read part of the first page, but it ended up not a good day so I started one of those 'easy"reads that's fun for a day like that. I should probably start it tomorrow. Had a migraine today.

Anne Sue: Nice Review. In terms of that feeling of familiarity, Dd you think you may have seen the movie?

Chrissie Sue, I absolutely loved this book when I read it 50 years ago and then when I reread it 2 summers ago. I think I enjoyed it even more on the second reading. Harper Lee, said once that it was a story about love. I so agree. Fifty years ago I was so drawn to the racial theme that I didn't see the other as well. Or maybe one has to be older to understand people so well.

You do know about this book don't you: Scout, Atticus, and Boo.

Nice review!

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Chrissie wrote: "Sue, I absolutely loved this book when I read it 50 years ago and then when I reread it 2 summers ago. I think I enjoyed it even more on the second reading. Harper Lee, said once that it was a stor..."

Thanks Chrissie. Yes I can see it being about love as well as acceptance. I'm not aware of the other book but I'll check it out.

Anne wrote: "Sue: Nice Review. In terms of that feeling of familiarity, Dd you think you may have seen the movie?"

Anne-- Thanks. I don't know. Maybe I did, but once again it must have been a long time ago.

Hend I am reading this one,and I am enjoying it.

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Hend wrote: "I am reading this one,and I am enjoying it.
:)"

Glad you are enjoying it. At some point I'll have to get some ideas from you! I'm trying to read some MENA books but many aren't available to me.

Hend Thanks Sue:)
I like our conversations,your thoughts are very inspiring.
I hope u could find those books and i am glad u are interested in MENA books.
they have great book collection.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Thank you Hend. I'm enjoying seeing what you are reading. I've ordered the sequel to No One Sleeps in Alexandria which was one of my favorite books last year. And I plan to read Dancing Arabs.

message 10: by Hend (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hend I Wanna read No One Sleeps in Alexandria soon,and i would love to discuss it with u:)

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Hend wrote: "I Wanna read No One Sleeps in Alexandria soon,and i would love to discuss it with u:)"

That would be great. I just liked that so much. I will read that again someday, though probably not soon.

I realize I misspoke in my comment above. The book I ordered, Birds of Amber, is not really a sequel to No One Sleeps in Alexandria. Instead it's a novel set in a later time in Alexandria.

message 12: by Hend (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hend I have this one too:)

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Hend wrote: "I have this one too:)"

Wonderful! Perhaps we can read it together someday. I really hope you like Meguid's writing as much as I have.

message 14: by Hend (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hend it would be great to read it together:)

message 15: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I just woke from a nap. I think the book came today but I dozed off before opening it!
Yes...I just opened it. Well we have a plan for later then. Good.:o)

message 16: by EGordon23 (new) - added it

EGordon23 I love this book also...it is so well written and makes me want to keep reading!! I hope the ending is as great as the beginning

message 17: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue EGordon23 wrote: "I love this book also...it is so well written and makes me want to keep reading!! I hope the ending is as great as the beginning"

Continue enjoying the book. I think you will find it satisfying!