Zoe's Reviews > Kiss, Date, Love, Hate

Kiss, Date, Love, Hate by Luisa Plaja

Mar 17, 12

Read in January, 2012

OK, it's official. My favourite book by Luisa Plaja has been replaced by this one! I love everything about it. The comedy, romance, magic, mystery. Over the period of time I read this it I couldn't stop. This involved lots of late nights and homework with no effort, but it was worth it... :D

Lex Murphy feels like she doesn't fit in. Her world is falling apart around her - her boyfriend, Matt, left her for her worst enemy, her best friend is deserting her for schoolwork and nobody understands her. Apart from Drew, the mysterious bad boy. But she wants Matt back, right? Just as more problems delve into Lex's life, her friend George introduces her to a new video game. At first they play around with their avatars: for example; they make Lex's hair longer, make all the girls swoon for George, and - best of all - Lex can get revenge.
Lex and George wake up the next day and find out that all their changes have come true. As perfect and exciting as it all seems, they begin to regret it.

I think all the ideas in this novel are very unique and the ending is very unpredictable. In some chapters I am laughing my head off and in some I want to tear the book apart (but then stick it back together of course).

All the characters are brilliant. The difference between them all make all the different relationships interesting. Which leads onto another thing.. love triangles! I could go on for ages about how all the relationships are amazing and gripping but then I'd be writing pages....! They are relateable and I particularly liked the nerdiness involved in this book for some reason. This is probably for the fact that I love films and the whole concept of them. My only criticism of the characters is the number - there are lots of characters of which some only say a few lines. In my opinion, I think they were quite pointless. I also don't know which four characters are on the cover - Lex, Drew George, Gemma? Lex, Drew, Matt, Jess? Hmm...

Another of my favourite things about this book is the brilliant message it sends out to a lot of teenagers. At some point in our lives, almost everyone has wanted to change something about the way they look. I know several girls at my school that think they're ugly and fat so slaver layers of make-up on themselves. At the end of the book, Lex learns to accept the way she is. Even though we may not want to admit it, we have all wanted something different with our life and Luisa has grabbed that concept and drawn it into an amazing book.

I 100% definitely recommend this book. I would happily read it again and again and I am sure I speak for many. All of Luisa's books are perfect for any kind of teenage girl - she tops it every time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss, Date, Love, Hate.