Read, Run, Ramble's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

2251932
Aug 23, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary-fiction
Read from January 07 to 29, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is an amazing book with rich characters and deep, interwoven stories. I enjoyed the book and its narrator (an intelligent, hurting, young boy searching for meaning in his father's death as well as trying to keep him "alive") from page one.

Oskar Schell is a smart, capable, lovable, precocious young man. He defines himself in many ways throughout the book, but readers will see a heart-broken little boy who needs answers and love.

Foer uses many non-traditional styles of writing to convey the thoughts, feelings, and personalities of his characters. I found these styles enriching to the stories he has created.

Readers will follow Oskar on his journey and will meet many diverse characters with many layers - their own pain; their own stories. Each connects to Oskar in a different, but meaningful way.

There are a few key elements that went unresolved for me. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if the author did indeed leave them to the "imagination"; however, I felt they needed/deserved a little more clarification/attention. This is probably the one thing keeping me from going up to 5 stars.

Foer tackles more than one hard and ugly situation in his novel, but does so with clarity, humor, empathy, and caring. I'd recommend this book to anyone who can read - wonderful writing, incredible story, amazing characters, thoughtful author, and all of it together produces an excellent novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I started it on Kindle, and I'm having a hard time with it, I have to say. I still have it on hold at the library, and I think I'm going to wait for it to come in still, because the Kindle edition has formatting issues big time, so maybe a hard copy will help some. I sure hope so, because I really want to like it. :(

Read, Run, Ramble Suzanne - this is one I'd definitely recommend reading in ink/paper format. I started it on the Nook too and wasn't able to decipher. The author uses non-traditional ways of writing to convey and increase meaning/themes so I like the real version much better. I think you'll have more luck with it.

I was LOST on the Nook version :o)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll definitely stick it out and wait for a "real" copy then! I definitely felt like I was missing alot of vital information when I was reading it, and yet people keep writing these glowing reviews, so I know there HAS to be more to it than I have seen so far! I just hope it comes in soon, now! :)

Read, Run, Ramble Do you know how far down you are on the list?

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2012 07:06PM) (new)

I don't. I suppose I could maybe call and find out, but I hadn't really thought of it, to be honest.

Read, Run, Ramble Just wondering if you're too far down. If you think it will be too long - I could send you my copy maybe??

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Awww...I can't ask that! I can wait for my library coy to come in...or break down and buy a copy if it comes down to it. :) Which, frankly, it may come down to. :)

Read, Run, Ramble You didn't - I did :o) (ask that is...LOL)!

I don't mind so just let me know if you need it!!

Another tip I've been give is to use the PC app when you get to hard to read parts. Not sure if that would have worked for me, but Shelly did it and it worked for her. When she got to anything hard to read or interpret, she moved to her Kindle for PC app.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am liking this a whole lot better in DTB form!! Thank you for encouraging me to read it even though initially I was discouraged with it, because I think I'm really going to be glad that I did! I'm just over halfway through in just one day...it's really sort of fantastic in an odd way, because his writing style is just so different. Very good story, though.

Read, Run, Ramble I'm so glad you were able to get a real copy and that it is better for you. Having PB really helped me and I absolutely loved the book/story!