Lisa Hayden Espenschade's Reviews > The Slaves of Solitude

The Slaves of Solitude by Patrick Hamilton

Nov 06, 2011

Recommended to Lisa by: a bookseller friend
Recommended for: Anyone who likes to read about crowded places
Read from August 22 to September 01, 2011 , read count: 1

The Slaves of Solitude is a bitterly funny book about a woman, one Miss Roach, who lives in a dreary-sounding boarding house outside London during World War 2. Miss Roach's experiences living in close quarters go from bad to worse when a so-called friend moves in, right next door to poor Miss Roach. Hamilton is unsparing in his depictions of his characters, creating people, situations, and a female perspective that felt absurd and strangely believable.

(There's more about The Slaves of Solitude on my blog here.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slaves of Solitude.

10/30/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by g (new)

g Ah! I was JUST looking at this book this afternoon. Decided to put it down (used book, unidentifiable stickiness) but I'll keep it on my radar!

Lisa Hayden Espenschade I thought it was very good... but am with you on not buying used books with unidentifiable stickiness!

Daisy I'm so glad I saw this on your list and read it. It was so good.

Lisa Hayden Espenschade I'm glad you liked it, Daisy! And I'm glad a friend gave me a copy as a gift. I also loved it.

Daisy Yes it's good enough to want to own. Mine was a library copy and it just fell into the litter box BUT I swear it's perfectly clean.

Lisa Hayden Espenschade Hmm, I wonder what Miss Roach would say about the book falling into the litter box...

Daisy Lisa wrote: "Hmm, I wonder what Miss Roach would say about the book falling into the litter box..."

Yeah, I don't know but I agree with her about Vicki and the comb.

Lisa Hayden Espenschade I agree with her about Vicki and the comb.

I know! That really stuck out for me, too.