Mystie Winckler's Reviews > The Hospitality Commands: Building Loving Christian Community: Building Bridges to Friends and Neighbors

The Hospitality Commands by Alexander Strauch

Sep 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, homemaking-parenting
Read from August 23 to 27, 2011

This is a very brief book, much more a launching pad than a discussion. Strauch proves from Scripture that hospitality -- opening up one's house primarily to brothers and sisters in Christ, but also to the needy and one's neighbors -- is an essential to the Christian life and community. It is not a nice thing for some people, but it is a requirement for everyone.

The most interesting point he made, in my mind, was that each of the commands to pursue hospitality in the New Testament directly follow commands to love the saints. That is, hospitality is the way we are to love one another. We aren't simply to feel a certain way toward fellow believers, we are to put it into practice and we are to make one another a part of our lives.

The back of the book lists discussion questions to explore the topic further in a group study setting. With only 5 short chapters and many potential avenues for discussion (rather than just "comprehension questions"), this would make a great small group study.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hospitality Commands.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ladydusk (new)

ladydusk I read this a long time ago. I don't remember much about it other than a vague feeling of disappointment that there wasn't more to it.

Mystie Winckler It is a very thin little book.