Mel's Reviews > The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James

F 50x66
Aug 25, 2011

Read in August, 2011

A fictionalized account built between the known occurances within Jane Austen's life, this story suggests the idea that Austen once found love with an aristrocrat whose life vaguely resembles Darcy's. From this relationship, Austen finds inspiration for the revisions necessary to both Sense and Sensibility as well as for Pride and Prejudice.

I found myself very much enjoying this novel; it did for Austen's work what Shakespeare in Love did for Shakespeare's works. I loved seeing the ideas for characters being drawn from Austen's acquaintances--and personally, I loved the character James inevitably drew from P&P's Mr. Collins from whose example Austen would have created Collins--such a ridiculous man! (I know, circuitous statement there...)

And I loved the relationship between Jane and Cassandra--one which is mirrored by Jane and Elizabeth in P&P and in which shades of Eleanor and Marianne from Sense & Sensibility can be seen.

For anyone who enjoys reading Austen--and likes the time period--this one should be added to your list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen.