Trishnyc's Reviews > The Princess Curse

The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell

Aug 23, 11

Read in August, 2011

I picked this up expecting a quick, easy and light read. Instead, I got a surprisingly well thought out and interesting story that pulled together different fairy tales and did it very well.

Thirteen year old Reveka is a herbalist apprentice who has set herself the task of curing the silly curse on the twelve princesses. Every morning, the princesses wake up exhausted, shoes in tatters yet seeming not to have left their room. No one can figure out why this happens and though many have tried to figure it out, they have been rewarded by being put into a deep sleep that slowly kills them. Reveka is new to the town and because of this does not harbor the prerequisite fear and dread the situation requires. All she cares about is breaking the curse so she can get the huge reward being offered by the Prince to free his daughters from their fate.

But as Reveka begins to understand the nature of the princesses' ailment, she realizes that this is a much bigger problem than she had expected. Along the way, she discovers friendships, loyalty and the depths of sacrifice she never knew she was capable of. She begins to grow from a girl who is only interested in the reward because it will allow her to escape her current life, into one that that truly cares about the town and its inhabitants. When her friend gets poisoned and ends up in the deep sleep, Reveka furiously races to find an answer to the puzzle.

As much as I enjoyed this book, I did begin to notice a pacing problem after chapter 22. The story became slow moving and though somewhat interesting information was being passed on, I did not find it as compelling as the first half. Also the end of the book was not very satisfying. I wanted to see a clear picture of what would happen to this remarkable girl. There was an attempt at a resolution but one that would only be okay if there is another book to follow. In fact, I am really hoping that is the case cause I want to see what happens with Reveka.

I'm not sure I would recommend this book to anyone younger than fifteen because there are some themes here that seem a bit more mature than the ten and up recommendation that the back of the book suggests. For example, the prince having illegitimate daughters and the way he acquires these illegitimate daughters seems a tad mature for this age group.

I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know Reveka.

**Review copy received from Amazon.com's Vine Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Curse.