Julianna's Reviews > Fantasy Lover

Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jun 14, 08

bookshelves: read-2008, desert-island-keepers, fantasy-romance
Read in May, 2008

Fantasy Lover is the first full-length novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon that I have read, and I absolutely loved it. It was packed with thoroughly romantic moments and beautiful sensuality that was sheer perfection for me, and that was even without the hero and heroine actually having sex until the very end of the book. I consider myself to be a very girly girl, and I find that Ms. Kenyon's writing style has a very feminine quality that is very appealing to me. I like the balance that she finds between the serious side of life and finding humor even in dark circumstances. I thought that the use of Greek gods and goddesses as secondary characters was a very unique element that made me want to go brush up on my knowledge of Greek mythology. Some people seemed to think that the ending was too rushed, and while I could in some ways see where they're coming from, I really didn't mind. For me it was full of unexpected twists and turns that engaged my attention so much that I completely lost track of time.

I loved both Grace and Julian. They were just as perfect for me as the story was as a whole. Julian is the classic tortured hero, completely gorgeous on the outside but feeling unworthy of true love because of his past. Grace was just as sweet as could be and very relatable for me. While some readers thought her to be weak because of her tender-heartedness, I thought that she had a quiet inner strength and determination that was endearing. What I liked most about Grace and Julian's relationship is how they gave so freely and unselfishly to each other. When Julian sold his most precious possession to replace Grace's most precious possessions that were destroyed, my heart just did flip-flops. Also, being the book lover that I am, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes where Julian derives so much pleasure from Grace reading to him. Sometimes it's just the little things that make a character or a story special for me. I know I probably sound like a gushing fan-girl, but I really did love this book, and can't wait to read more of the Dark-Hunter series. I borrowed this book from the library, but I will definitely be getting my own copy to place on my keeper shelf. It is very rare for me to place an author among my favorites when I have read so few of their works (I've only read one other novella by her), but I relate to Sherrilyn Kenyon's writing style so much, I couldn't imagine that I wouldn't enjoy almost anything she's written.
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy Lover.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm so glad you liked this one. Yay! I did too, but I think we are in the minority. Who knows why? Most people complain there are no vampy Hunters in it, although Julian does spot Kyrian in the restaurant but is not sure, because he died before Julian did, and he knows nothing about the Hunters a that point. However the "Dark-Hunter" series has a strong mythological theme to it, and Julian is one of the major players who shows up in almost every other novel in the series after this one, so this is novel is a must IMO.

Besides I loved the story! Now you can see why I am always raving about Kenyon's writing syle. She writes tight and lean and her dialogue is excellent. Not to mention her sex scenes are always hot. Just love her novels! Now you will have to read the rest of the series. Let me warn you the "Dark-Hunters" and "Dream-Hunters" are totally addicting, but well worth it!!

Laura Stamps
Author of Paranormal Romance and Erotica Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (to read excerpts from my novel series)

Julianna Oh, cool! I'm so glad to hear that Julian will be in future books. I wondered if he might turn up again.

I agree. I love her dialog. It and the story in general evoked so many emotions from me. One minute I could be feeling sad for something from Julian's tortured past and the next I would be laughing at some snappy banter between him and Grace. And those love scenes! I don't know how she does it, but they're always infused with soooo much feeling, they just make me swoon.;)

I'm following the book order on Sherri's website, so I read the short story The Beginning from the back of Sins of the Night right after finishing Fantasy Lover. I think I'm already "in love" with Acheron and that was nothing more than a teaser. How she managed to pack so much into such a small space is a mystery to me.

Hmmmmmm! Sitting her writing this, I think I'm in need of my next "fix" already. Maybe I'll have to see about picking it up at the library this afternoon. Then again, V and Phury are calling my name too.;) Decisions, decisions!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Ash is one of my favs!! He is totally YUMMY.

My fav Dark-Hunter is Val from "Seize the Night." Love that misunderstood Roman general with a heart of gold. Yowza! And those sex scenes are reallllllllly hot!

Laura Stamps
Author of Paranormal Romance and Erotica Novels
http://www.LauraStamps.blogspot.com (to read excerpts from my novel series)

Shannon Can anyone recommend a book like this for me? I read it twice. I am a fan of the female saving the tortured male and the paranormal. I liked that every other page wasn't sex. I loved how it tugged at my heart (poor defeated Julian). Want more. Please? Anyone?

Julianna Shannon, have you tried any other Dark-Hunter books yet? All of Sherrilyn Kenyon's DH heroes are tortured in some way and have strong heroines saving them. Most tortured of all is Acheron. His book is #14 in the series and is not for the faint of heart.

My personal favorite paranormal series is J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, starting with Dark Lover. This series is filled with yummy, sexy, tortured heroes to love.

A few other paranormal series I've enjoyed that you might want to consider:
Love at Stake by Kerrelyn Sparks (begins w/How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire)
The Companion by Susan Squires (begins w/The Companion)
Demonica by Larissa Ione (begins w/Pleasure Unbound)
The Wild Wulfs of London by Ronda Thompson (begins w/The Dark One)
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - this is more time travel than PNR.

Hope this helps and you find some new books to enjoy!:-)

Shannon You recommended Outlander, which is my favorite of all time, and you liked this book. So, I will be reading everything on your list. :)

To answer your question, I am halfway through the second book (about Kyrian).

Julianna You're welcome, Shannon. Outlander is my all-time favorite romance too. I'm looking forward to watching the upcoming TV show and keeping my fingers crossed that they do a good job with it.:-) Hope you enjoy my suggestions. IMHO, there's some very good reading there.

Wendy After reading this review, I'm convinced that I'm going to enjoy this book. And can say how well you write? :)

Julianna Thank you, Wendy. That's very sweet of you to say. I hope you enjoy Fantasy Lover. It's one of my favorites in the Dark-Hunter series.

Wendy I completely enjoyed it!

Julianna Awesome! Glad to hear it.:-)