Demo's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

For me, reading this book hurt like hell.

I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. Not at funerals, not when I nearly broke my leg last winter on black ice, not when I saw the statistics of how much our music industry sucks right now---never.

It was like Maggie S. stabbed a knife into my heart, and every time something bad happened, she twisted it a little more.

Melodramatic, yes, but it's the best comparison I can think of for now.

Sad thing is, I'm not even crying because of the plot or story---sure, that was a major impact on the depression, too, the fact that life loves to torture Grace, Sam, Isabel, and Cole, but that still wasn't why I'm so upset.
I swear, Stiefvater has a flawless talent for making readers feel the narrators' emotions. Every time Sam and Grace hugged, I felt a grin split across my face, every time Cole contemplated suicide I clenched my fist. Reading one of those Mercy Falls books is like stepping into a mine field of feelings.

I'm going to focus on Isabel for the moment. Isabel.

I've read quite a few books where a character reminded me of myself: Claire from The Body Finder, Alice from Twilight, Emily from Emily the Strange: The Lost Days... But none of them slapped me in the face like Isabel did.

See, being a pessimist/realist, I generally have a rather gloomy outlook on things. I curse the past and laugh at the future. Isabel was like some of my most depressing opinions written down. Sure, I hear them all the time in my own mind, but seeing them on paper and thinking, "Wow, the only other person I've ever met that thinks the same way as me is a fictional character."

Ouch.

I also loved how she was never sure of her relationships. She wasn't sure if she liked Sam or if she wanted to kick him in the face, if she wanted to console Grace or tell her to suck it up, if she wanted to kiss Cole or slap him and tell him to get a hold of himself.

Again, ouch.

Cole was at his peak in every way in this book. He was funniest, with his little black Mustang. He was saddest, with talking about his only purpose being to find Grace's cure. He was reckless, trying out potentially deadly concoctions on himself.

Another thing about Cole I admired was how he constantly underestimated himself. Sam and Isabel thought he was stupid, when the entire time, he was the smartest of all of them. He did stupid stuff, but it never really his the genius that he actually was.

It was nice seeing a faint glimmer of hope throughout this depressing story.

The plot was intricate, but somehow never boring. I kept putting it down and going for random snack breaks, which actually means I liked it. I don't know why, but I always like to prolong the suspense at some parts so that when I read the actual thing it's just that much greater.

The story was neither too fast or too slow, but a happy medium. It never got to dull and it never got so fired up that I was like "Wait... Huh?"

Perfect balance.

Oh, and Sam. Sam, Sam, Sam. Sam. Thanks to him, I can't pick my favorite male character of all time. I'm stuck between Cole, Sam, Logan Keeley, and Zachary Moore (Sorry, Sam, but no boy protagonist gets past one of my reviews without being compared to Zach.) Now whenever someone asks me to choice one, this, like, mini war breaks out inside me: One side going "YAY! SAM AND COLE ARE THE BEST! THEY ARE SO REALISTIC AND DESERVE HAPPINESS!" While the other is like "ZACHARY AND LOGAN PWN!"

I CAN'T CHOOSE, PEOPLE, I CAN'T CHOOSE!

Anyway, this book is also very useful for verbal comeback training, or whatever you want to call it. I swear, the next time anyone throws something at me I'm just gonna say "Do that again, and I will sell you're first born child to the devil" and then laugh at the inside joke. Aah Isabel.

The picture doesn't have too much to do with the statement, but I friggin love that video :)

I'm mad at Goodreads. They should have a 6 star rating, just for this book. 5 just isn't enough.

I love GIFs. I really do. That's why I always have to add them onto these reviews. I tried searching on Google for a good crying one, but they all sucked. So instead I looked up GIFs from the video "I Don't Love You." Coolest crying picture ever:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.

Quotes Demo Liked

Still waking up

I can see the sun”
Maggie Stiefvater, Forever

10/03/2011 page 130
33.0% "This is the most brutally depressing book I have ever read. Brutal in a good way, if that makes sense. Stiefvater is so impeccably talented when it comes to describing emotions and creating characters. I want to cry. Isabel and I share a lot of the same pessimistic opinions of the world. Somehow, reading someone else write things I've thought just makes it feel more real..."
10/03/2011 page 195
50.0% ""I can't tell the difference between not fighting... and giving up." I think I just died a little inside. It terrifies me how much Isabel and I are alike mentally."
10/03/2011 page 210
54.0% "When I was little, I liked to watch MythBusters. Maybe that's why I'm such a smart aleck. Anyway, On Mythbusters they always had two projects going on at the same time, and after each commercial break they would switch what project you're watching right as it gets to a suspenseful part. That's what this is like. Every time it gets suspenseful, they cut to a different character's POV. Irritating."
10/03/2011 page 229
59.0% "I knew Koenig was a good person from the start! *happy dance*"
10/03/2011 page 379
97.0% "I'm crying harder than I did at every funeral I've ever been to. I think I'm getting my keyboard wet. I don't care. I feel pathetic. But I love this book. Love it dearly."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Egbert I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. Not at funerals, not when I nearly broke my leg last winter on black ice, not when I saw the statistics of how much our music industry sucks right now

Simply for this true statement of TRUTH you get a like.

Zero vi Britannia Mello wrote: "I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. Not at funerals, not when I nearly broke my leg last winter on black ice, not when I saw the statistics of how much our music industry sucks right ..."

How can you say the music industry sucks with all the talents like Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Nick Jonas, and Joe Jonas?
(view spoiler)

Demo Chris wrote: "Mello wrote: "I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. Not at funerals, not when I nearly broke my leg last winter on black ice, not when I saw the statistics of how much our music industr..."

ZOMG J BIEBS?? NO!!!!!

(view spoiler)

Demo Mello wrote: "I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. Not at funerals, not when I nearly broke my leg last winter on black ice, not when I saw the statistics of how much our music industry sucks right ..."

*bows* Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all night!... Except when I'm not.

Lucero can anyone tell me wat exactly happended at the end? i only read it b/c i wanted to know what happens in the end. did grace became a wolf wth sam or did she leave him?

Demo Lucero wrote: "can anyone tell me wat exactly happended at the end? i only read it b/c i wanted to know what happens in the end. did grace became a wolf wth sam or did she leave him?"

You should read the entire series. It's absolutely worth it, I swear. Best three days of my life. But if you really want to know....

(view spoiler)

Lucero so does sam an grace have a happy ending?

Demo Lucero wrote: "so does sam an grace have a happy ending?"

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby Min I agree with every word. I cried too. Don't worry. It's because it's so sad. Love the review..

Emilyzzz What are you supposed to do after reading a series like The Wolves of Mercy Falls?? I just finished Forever and now I'm stuck. It was so beautiful my brain fried or something... I totally agree with your review.