Salena's Reviews > Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much

Money-Driven Medicine by Maggie Mahar

Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: gave-up-on
Read from July 20 to August 14, 2012

I got bored and quit about halfway through. It was depressing and interesting to learn about the history of the healthcare industry in America, the book was just really out of date now that the ACA has come into effect.

Which is obviously not to say that I think the ACA has fixed everything she says are the problems, of course it hasn't. But it has addressed some of the broader issues in her book. And now that we have the ACA, I got tired of reading her constant pleas for something to be done and really wanted a discussion of how the ACA has helped. So I gave up because that discussion was not going to happen, given that this book was written before Obama entered office.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Money-Driven Medicine.

08/03 marked as: gave-up-on

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Powe This book is essential to understanding the successes and failures of the ACA. Particularly critical is the understanding that healthcare is not healthcare insurance. The ACA is not aimed at reforming healthcare itself, it is aimed at insuring that as many Americans are insured as possible. The ACA reforms some areas of the insurance racket, e.g. pre-existing conditions. Others are left untouched. For example, the insurance company can still decide not to pay for any treatment it labels "experimental," even in cases where the treatment might be market dominant or even the only treatment available. The law is a good step forward. But, it is only one step.

Citizens need to inform themselves on the entire issue in order to drive real change.