emi Bevacqua's Reviews > The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-Year Friendship

The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, journalist
Read from August 19 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

My mom always told me she chose to go to Ames, Iowa for her spring break, and I never heard anything more wholesome sounding; I read a glowing review of this book, and its subtitle is A Story of Women & a Forty-Year Friendship. The subject matter is fine (a group of 11 childhood friends who remain tight through adolescence and beyond, despite obstacles like distance and differing viewpoints); it's just the delivery that I find fault with. The writer Jeffrey Zaslow, is a Wall Street Journal columnist. I guess I learned I should stick to books by New York Times-esque writers (I remember not liking that Elephants Graveyard book written by the Economist journalist either). This Zaslow guy was just so needlessly wordy, like I'd plow through a whole paragraph describing a family portrait: each family member's posture, position, physical description, hair styling, clothing... only to turn the page, and see the freaking photo for myself - ARGH! He seemed to think being a guy writing about a group of lifelong female friends was a good gimmick, but I think it was a miscalculation. He kept trying to tell me too much about stuff I inherently know.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from Ames.