Jeniann's Reviews > What's Eating Your Child?: The Hidden Connection Between Food and Childhood Ailments: Anxiety, Recurrent Ear Infections, Stomachaches, Picky Eating, Rashes, ADHD, and More. And What Every Parent Can Do about It.

What's Eating Your Child? by Kelly Dorfman

F 50x66
Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: health
Read in August, 2011

This book is by a pediatric allergist/nutritionist who talks about issues that many children face, such as acid reflux, picky eating, ADHD, speech difficulties, being prone to high anxiety and worrying, frequent stomachaches, allergies, eczema, ear infections, poor growth, but really are preventable conditions that can be greatly helped nutritionally. The book is a series of case studies of children with different difficulties and how she was able to help them through proper nutrition.
One of the most interesting things in it to me was what she said about children (and would also apply to adults) who are picky eaters and have a hard time trying new foods, even though sometimes they really want to try new things but it's very unpleasant for them to eat certain foods. She explains that in many cases they have an underlying zinc deficiency that can cause some foods to be unpleasant to them and how treating the zinc deficiency can greatly help them to be more comfortable eating a broader range of foods. She goes into detail about some simple ways you can know if your child has a zinc deficiency, how to help them with it, and also gives a lot of tips for helping picky eaters.
For me personally the most helpful part was the chapter about children with speech difficulties since I have a child with those, and she had some good tips about that.
I highly recommend this book for anyone with small children, particularly if you have a child with one of the conditions mentioned. This doctor is very much a traditional American doctor who uses traditional medical methods. (This is why for me I give it 4 stars instead of 5 because I felt there were some helpful things that could have been mentioned in this book but were left out because they are not accepted by mainstream American medicine.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Eating Your Child?.

message 1: by Tarra (new) - added it

Tarra I'm definitely interested in the speech related information as well. Does this book go into food dyes? Modifying behaviors with food elimination? Thanks!

Jeniann No, this book does not talk about modifying behaviors by eliminating foods. If you are interested in that sort of thing, I recommend the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. Good luck!