Scarlett's Reviews > Wolf Mark

Aug 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arc, reviewed
Read from October 23 to November 09, 2011

Originally posted on my blog here.

It's hard to say what caught my attention first about this book. I love wolves, werewolves in particular; the premise sounded engaging; the cover simple but catching (though yellow and red aren't my favorite colors together, this seems to work).

Once I started the book I found it interesting, particularly in that we are inside the head of Luke and he is quite a knowledgeable kid. All his little tidbits and asides were one part fascinating (I'll admit it, I took some notes as there are some real facts involved), one part conceited and one part distracting. While I liked how into detail things got....this also kind of made the book heavy to read even though it wasn't particularly deep. It took me a while to get through it...but I did get through it and ultimately liked it, which matters more I think, in the long run.

The most original part of the book, and what I found the most interesting, was that these werewolves aren't like your normal werewolves that have the wolf inside them, no, these werewolves are more like selkies than anything else. The skin is separate from them and they have to protect it. I thought that this was clever and this is the first time I've come across something like this.

Other than that though, not too much else was original, but it was bearable. The other characters tried to become three dimensional, but it felt forced. Luke is too dominate a narrator so we only really get to know him and everyone else is how he sees them. Nothing wrong with this, it just wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been.

Overall, an interesting read, different from your regular paranormal teenage werewolves. Also, I learned some Russian. That's always cool. (by the way, 'cool' in Russian is 'klassni'....just in case you wanted to impress someone).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Mark.

10/23/2011 page 53