Staci's Reviews > Midnight on Julia Street

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from August 22 to September 08, 2011

1.) Reasons you chose this book
I've never read anything by Ciji Ware and after reading multiple bloggers rave reviews of her books I thought why not!

2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book
Liked: I loved the setting of the book. New Orleans is one place that I would really like to visit. There is so much history there and it has that feel of the French blended with so many other cultures. I also liked how the author weaved her story between the past and present. I found it intriguing how certain smells could put Corlis into a trance-like state and take her back in time.
Didn't Like: Way too much calling people "Sugar" and too much of Corlis going on about being called 'Sugar'! Annoying to say the least. I also felt that there were too many characters to try to keep track of in the present time and then trying to link them up to their ancestors in the past!! Confusing and at times, I was totally lost.

3.) Reasons you are recommending this book
It was an okay read for me. Honestly, there were times when I just flipped a few pages and moved on because I found the story dragging in parts. I would say that if you're a huge fan of Ware's then you'll probably read this one regardless of what I think. I do know that I have two other books by her that my fellow blogging friends adored so I will read them. And I'd also like to add that I'm starting to come up for air after losing my dog Bruce in mid-August and I honestly feel that has something to do with my lack of enjoyment for this book. I don't want to do any disservice to the author's work....the history part of this book was fantastic. I just wanted less characters (or a chart to follow) and less sugar!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight on Julia Street.

08/30/2011 page 200