Holly S.'s Reviews > Stranger in a Strange Land

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

F_50x66
Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi-fantasy

A sci-fi classic that sat on my shelf for over a year before I tackled it. While slow to get going, once I got into it, I was beyond captivated. An incredible story for fans of sci-fi, controversial topics, brilliantly witty dialogue, and cutting/not-so-thinly-veiled social commentary. I marked pages of dialogue or descriptions that blew me away and warranted second and third readings well after I finished the book. I never understood why Heinlein is revered as a genius of science fiction or writing in general, and while I don't typically read such explicit sci-fi (by which I mean, the stereotypical retro-age space-travel and robots type of sci-fi; I tend towards the contemporary in that genre), I absolutely loved this, and will not hesitate to lavish that well-deserved praise and respect on Heinlein in the future. This novel has since incited many intense discussions on the future of religion in society and of societal norms in general, and I believe will continue to do so for years to come. A beautifully well-done work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger in a Strange Land.