Amy's Reviews > Jack & Jill

Jack & Jill by James Patterson

Aug 25, 11

Read from August 22 to 25, 2011

This is an older Alex Cross novel. I just finished Postcard Killers (a newer novel) about a month ago, and there are a lot of similarities with the J&J killers. The biggest mystery of the book was trying to figure out why the killers did it, which is never answered completely. At the beginning J&J are playing with a game board of some kind, but that is completely forgotten after a few chapters & has nothing to do with the motive. There are too many red herrings to the point of sloppiness. When it comes to the end, you're scratching you head b/c there were not any clues to the identity of the killers.
Alex Cross has another case with children being murdered in a schoolyard. Again, too many red herrings and the killer's motive never is clearly seen. The killer is only after black children and you never know if it was just opportunity or racism.
A point of note is that the future Mrs. Cross, Christine, is introduced.
The reason I bought the audio was because John Rubinstein did part of the audio. He does the John Kellerman audios and in this plays all the killer's voices. Blair Underwood is the voice of Cross and he is awful. I may be biased, but I wanted Morgan Freeman because Underwood read too fast & it's hard to keep up the change in scene. Rubinstein was wonderful and did not jell will Underwood.
Even with Rubinstein, I do not recommend this novel. The police work is sloppy and Cross never catches or IDs the killers. They make mistakes or turn on each other. You are never told a motive or if the Real Jack is playing the board game with the Real Jill or the Fake Jill. This book is a waste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack & Jill.