Chachic's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

bookshelves: gobbled-them-up, ebooks, galley, best-of-2011, ya-contemps-recs
Recommended to Chachic by: Flannery
Read from August 24 to 27, 2011

Originally posted here.

I saw my friend Flannery of The Readventurer reading Flat-out Love on Goodreads and I was intrigued by the premise. I asked her what she thought of the first few chapters and this is what she said, "I'm liking it a ton. If it keeps up like this, I will be reccing it to all of you. It's contemporary YA with a sense of humor." So I'm glad author Jessica Park gave me an electronic copy for review and I read the book as soon as I could.

The cover is an original artwork by Robyn Hyzy and I think it looks great, all bright and happy. I was hoping that the cover would reflect the contents of the book and I wasn't disappointed. It was so easy to read Flat-out Love because there's enough banter between the characters to keep things funny. I read this on my Kindle and there were several hilarious scenes that left me smiling, I'm sure the people around me found it weird that I was amused by a reading device. I really liked that the main character, Julie, is in college because we really need more New Adult or older YA books. I could definitely relate to Julie and everything that she felt about college - how she was excited to start learning new things, how she looked forward to meeting like-minded people and how she was just generally happy about the whole experience. I loved my college years and I felt the same way Julie did. Aside from that, Julie is also deathly afraid of heights and I have the same fear! Well, I don't have it as bad as Julie does. And I've always wanted to try skydiving. I'm jealous of my friends who have tried jumping out of a plane to free fall. The way skydiving was described in this book strengthened my resolve to give it a try, not in the Philippines though because I have a feeling the equipment here won't be as trusty as what's available in other countries.

I admit I guessed the family secret way before it was revealed but that doesn't mean I didn't savor the build-up. As Julie got to know the whole family - Erin and Roger, Finn, Matt and Celeste - I felt like there were enough clues in there to understand what happened to make them so unusual. I really enjoyed seeing Julie develop friendships with the siblings - from her online flirtations with Finn, her day-to-day hang out and study sessions with Matt to her tentative efforts to reach out to Celeste so the little girl can come out of her shell. I think these were the relationships that brought the novel to life. And the romance? It took time to form and is the opposite of instant love. I'm totally on board that kind of romance and character development. I also loved that social networking was such a big part of the novel, there were Facebook status messages all throughout the novel and Julie and Finn chatted on Facebook all the time. What I didn't understand though was why Julie hated Twitter. Oy Julie, Twitter is awesome, it lets me communicate with fellow book bloggers AND authors. AUTHORS! Who are rock stars in my world. I highly recommend this one to readers looking for older than usual contemporary YA characters.

Celeste carries around a cardboard cutout of her oldest brother and calls it Flat Finn. Like I mentioned, I only read an ebook version of this book and I didn't have an actual copy. So I thought it would be a good idea to create a Flat Flat-out Love (FoL). Check out the pictures:

Flat FoL with other contemporary reads, YA on the left and adult on the right.

A nod to the painted design of the cover.

Flat FoL with Facebook as its background.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Jessica Park
“Then she did what any girl would do: she Googled him.”
Jessica Park, Flat-Out Love

08/25/2011
08/26/2011
20.0% "Enjoying the banter between the characters"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Great review :) Your "book crack" shelf just made me laugh so hard!

Chachic Thanks Reynje! LOL I couldn't take the credit for that because I got the idea from other bloggers. There really are some books that are like crack.

Flannery I love your Flat Flat-Out Love:) So cute, but it made me want your piles of books in the background too!

I've always wanted to try skydiving as well.

Chachic Flannery, thanks for telling me about this book! LOL you should read the books in the background, my favorite contemporary reads are included in that pile.

Skydiving seems really fun and exciting, wish I could try it in the future.

Flannery I want to read Unsticky but I can't get it anywhere! Someone recced it to me on here and I was so sad that I can't get it. It would be my book I can't get for your meme that you do...if I wasn't too lazy to write the post:)

Chachic I got my copy from the Book Depository UK site. You probably can't get it in bookstores there because it was only published in the UK? Loved that book, I hope you get to read that and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me too. LOL don't worry, I'll add it to the Want Books roundup when I do a post this weekend.