Carly's Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

F_50x66
Apr 14, 08

Millions of Cambodians suffered from all kinds of atrocities - the American bombings, displacement,starvation, communist killings, genocide, and other such violence during the 70s Specifically during the time of Khmer Rouge (Pol Pot Regime), 1975-1979.

This book is a chilling, deeply touching, eye-opening and educational narrative of an American Cambodian woman who was a child during the Khmer Rouge (Pol Pot Regime).

In response to this book (one of the first recollections of the regime from a survivor), the general public has expressed shock and sympathy for the victims of the Khmer Rouge.

However, some Cambodians who also suffered through the Killing Fields, felt disillusioned and betrayed. Unlike the general public, these individuals have direct experience and knowledge of their own about Cambodia to compare with what was claimed in the book.

This is true for my Mother-in-Law. My husband Bun was born during the Pol Pot regime and my in-laws survived. Their story has similar elements to Ung's, however due to their age during the regime, their accounts are less sensationalized and feel more authentic.

Be on the look out for a new book, "The Survival of my Mother-In-Law: From the Killing Fields of Cambodia". JUST KIDDING :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.