Limonessa's Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Sep 04, 2011

bookshelves: chick-lit, favorites
Read from August 29 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Have you ever...

-got a crush on a penfriend you never or barely met?
-pined a whole year - or more - for your summer crush?
-fallen in love with the idea of someone, idolizing him/her and thus making him/her perfect?

In other words:

Have you ever fallen in love with LOVE?

If you've recognized yourself in any of these questions, then this is the book for you.

Julie is from Ohio but she's starting college in Boston. When she arrives to find the apartment she thought she rented to be a total scam, her last resource is to call her mother's long lost college friend, Erin, to help her out and give her a temporary roof while she looks for a solution.
This is how Julie meets the Watkins family: Erin and Roger, the academic and self-involved parents, Finn, the fascinating older brother on a backpacking tour around the world, Matt, the middle brother, a math and physics nerd with a fetish for smartass T-shirts and Celeste, the 13 year old quirky sister of the family.
The Watkinses seem to be a regular enough family on the surface but Julie soon realizes that all is not well with these people's familial dynamics. What irks her the most is that she can't point her finger at the exact cause: everything seems to rotate around Celeste but there's just something that they are not telling her and that she is determined to find out...

This book would have normally received 4 stars from me.
If you're wondering to which genre it belongs, I'd categorize it as a more-adult-than-young YA college chick lit. And a very, very good one. Aside from being well written, it pushed all the right buttons for me.
It made me laugh out loud frequently, and not in a silly way but in a I-wish-I was-there-to-laugh-with-you way.
It took me back in time, wishing I could have back my late teenage years and the butterflies in the stomach feelings of my first crush(es). It really was a trip down memory lane for me.
It's got every good characterization and aside from Julie and Matt, I dare you not to be completely engrossed by Celeste and her personality.
Finally, it's got a very good plot and it's not very often that I can say that I was totally oblivious as to what would be missing piece of the jigsaw to understand the Watkins family.
I would have taken away a star, or maybe half a star, for the ending which I found excessively cheesy and slightly awkward.

That is, if this book were a regular book.
But this book is self published. Now, my - somewhat limited - experience with self published books has been disastrous to put it mildly. Bad editing bothers me a whole lot. There are already many, many published books which are badly edited, I don't really see the point in subjecting myself to books which have not undergone the scrutiny of professional eyes and been polished.
But this is NOT and I was really and very pleasantly surprised. THIS is how it's done. For me, this book is close to perfect and if only for that it deserves the final missing star.

Especially recommended for first crush nostalgics and hopeless romantics.
79 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

08/29/2011
24.0% "Coolatta will NEVER be commercialized in my country. It means butt cheek. O_o" 4 comments
08/30/2011
72.0% "Addictive! But can I whack Julie on the head with my flip flops?" 1 comment

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Ohh, the pressure. :)
I shall not stalk you... I shall not stalk you... I will still love you even if you end up hating my book. That's a promise. You won't get rid of me that easily.

Limonessa As if I wanted to. Pfft.
So far so good, it's pretty relaxing and enjoyable. I like the fact that they're a bit older than average YA fiction we read.
Celeste is a piece of work.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) :D I am very excited!
I found that very refreshing, too. It was like Raw Blue in a way, it fills the gap between YA and adult.

Celeste really is a piece of work. She's very interesting.

Limonessa I'm thinking of going around with a Flat Barrons for while.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) THE Flat Barrons? Don't you think P would mind? It would seem rather odd to have a dinner out - the four of you and FB. I'm picturing it now and crying with laughter.

Limonessa I actually choked on my favorite fruit flavored gummy bears right now. It would be kind of weird, especially when I'd try to spoon-feed him with lascivious eyes.
Or I could spend days with him and hide him under the bed at night.

Limonessa But talking about hotties, the next Cat and Bones is coming out tomorrow. Are you getting it?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Haha, maybe you could glue him to the ceiling. That way you could always keep an eye on him. :D

Definitely getting Cat and Bones. The last one was a disappointment, but this time it won't be. I can feel it in my Bones. :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Also, gummy bears are bad for you. :D

Limonessa There's this Fruit-tella kind that uses natural juices... :D

I already saw some positive reviews, will surely get it too!
So that pun was of the totally intended kind? :D :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Pun most definitely intended, thus the capital B. :D

Why aren't you doing something more fun?!

Limonessa You wanna laugh?
(view spoiler)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I actually did laugh out loud! Is it from watching Flat Barrons on the ceiling?

Don't take him out too much, he might get sunburned!

Limonessa That might be the reason. I ogled him all night :D
Seriously, this is ridiculous. What am I? 80?! :(

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Nah, the universe hates you for being so good looking. :P

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Five!!! FIVE?!?! How did I not see this? Have I told you lately how much I love you? :D :D

Limonessa Loved it. And amazed that it is self pubbed. Why aren't they all like this?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I was wondering the same thing!
And *gasps*, you didn't rate 5 stars just because of me?!

Limonessa As I rated Imaginary Girls 4 stars? :D
Of course not, this book needs to be promoted and it deserves 5 stars IMO. Have you checked out other stuff by this author?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I didn't see this comment! :(
Yes, I want to read her YA as soon as I find the time. That should probably be around next year.

Anyway, I totally love this review! :D
And did you just call me a hopeless romantic?! Shame on you!

message 21: by Lora (new)

Lora You and Maja have me wanting to read this now . . .

Awesome review, Lisa. :)

message 22: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura …sigh…first crushes! Great review, Lisa! I am really looking forward to this one! :)

message 23: by Say (new) - rated it 5 stars

Say i loved this as well....awww =)

Wendy Darling In answer to your questions: yes, yes, yes, and YES! Oh, my. I have to read this soon. I know 5 stars from Lisa are very, very dear. :)

Sonia ღ Such a beautiful review, Lisa :)

message 26: by Kyra (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kyra ok I need your help, I have a slight problem. 1) I have been waiting to read this book and when I finally do I can't get into it! I know I know what's wrong with me, everyone loves it, my problem is I had way too high expectations and it's just not cutting it. 2)The book is too slow for me. I am over half way done and it's just not getting my attention. This is where your help comes in, I am most likely not going to finish the book, can you please tell me what the big BANG! is?!?! Is Finn really dead? I might just finish the book if I like the ending but so far I just can't seem to finish it.

Limonessa Kyra, I think that if you're halfway through and you're still not into it, you should probably abandon it, regardless of the Big Bang :) I guess it's just not your kind of book...

message 28: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia Rațiu Can you recomand me something like this book? I have been trying to find something to put on top of this one on my favorite shelve and I find none,