chris tierney's Reviews > Searching for God Knows What

Apr 14, 2008

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended for: everyone
Read in April, 2008

These days I am afraid and ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian. I'm afraid because I know as soon as the word leaves my mouth I'll be associated with people who hate homosexuals and science classes, people who cast every vote as though abortion is the only issue, people who think God wants us to drop more bombs in Iraq because He only loves America. I'm ashamed because I don't do enough to counteract that stereotype. I don't explain that it doesn't matter to me whether homosexuality is sinful or not because Jesus told us to love everybody anyway, or that I think God wants to save the whole world, not just United Statesians.

Searching For God Knows What helped me understand how we (Christians and everyone else) got where we are today, searching for affirmation from the world. It gave me hope that as a Christian I can stand for something other than the Moral Majority. But most importantly, it reminded me what the Bible is really about, and why Jesus still matters to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for God Knows What.

03/05/2016 marked as: read

Brian Humek I love everyone, but I hope that doesn't mean I have to accept as okay, the behavior of child molesters, serial killers and people who cheat at dodgeball. I loved this book but I don't think any of us should be judgmental, I think that even in regard to people who are pro-life and those who believe the Bible teaches homosexuality is wrong should not be judged in a negative light. They may believe differently than others, but is that a reason to ostracize them. Seems like these days we cannot be judgmental towards anyone these days except toward conservative Christians. What do you think? This is coming from a big fan of Donald Miller and Shane Claiborne.