John's Reviews > A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32)

A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32) by Terry Pratchett

Tiffany Aching is starting her witch training. But in preparing herself, she attracts the attention of a hiver, a being who takes over other beings and unleashes their worst selfs. Can Tiffany learn what she needs to learn, while avoiding the searching of a deadly being who wants to control her, a being she doesn't even know is after her? Luckily, the Wee Free Men are aware of the problem and are more than willing to help her, if only their new kelda will let them.

All the Tiffany Aching books are excellent, but this one may be my favorite. It is functionally about what to do once you realize that you are very good at something. There are loads of books about how to become good at something, and many more about how to accept your inferiority, but I'm only aware of this (and Oedipus Rex) as an exploration of excessive competence and what it does to us. And young, smart women very likely have reasons for their feelings of superiority and a desperate need to understand what it means. This is the book for them. Just an excellent coming-of-age novel, for all ages and genders. I cannot recommend it enough. Go read it, now!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32).