Rachelle's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Aug 22, 2011

bookshelves: fiction
Read from September 03 to 05, 2011

I really enjoyed The Language of Flowers. It’s the story of Victoria, who was abandoned by her mother at birth and forced into foster homes and group homes until she is emancipated at 18. We find Victoria angry and homeless in San Francisco. She’s uses her uses her knowledge of the Victorian language of flowers to get a job at a flower shop. Through the book we see how her past has made her shy away from human contact and believe that she is not worthy of love. But of course as the story progresses, Victoria starts to make connections with people. Eventually connecting with her past and the guilt she has carried since she was 10.

The story is interesting. The author moves between present day and flash backs seamlessly. I really liked Victoria. I found myself pulling for her, sometimes more then I felt she was pulling for herself. I’m a hugger and she is not and I have to admit I found that frustrating, more frustrating than her habit of growing plants in her room. Nevertheless, I wanted her life to work out. I was cheering Grant on as he tried to get through to her. I wanted Mother Ruby to push harder and break Victoria just a little bit. I wanted Renata to be tougher with her. But mostly I just wanted Victoria to understand that all of the people in her life love her.

I loved how the author used this flower language to progress the story. It gave the story nuance and charm. I think it has changed how I think of bouquets of flowers, as if I want to be more careful when I gift flowers now.

Overall it was a great story frustrating at yet satisfying, with interesting characters who pull you in and make you care. The fact that its set in San Francisco is just a bonus. As a native NorCal girl its just fun to read about the hills of San Francisco and the Golden Gate. A nice bit of fiction and a good read for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

09/04/2011