Katie's Reviews > The Queen

The Queen by Steven James

Sep 19, 11

Read from September 12 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

It’s hard to believe I’m such a big suspense-fan, and I’ve never picked up one of Steven James’ books before. I admit, it’s my loss I’ve kept this talented master of suspense off my bookshelf for so long—but now I’ve remedied that! James’ newest release, The Queen, takes readers on one wild thrill of adventure alongside FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers.

One of the first things that struck me with Steven’s writing style is the depth he takes his characters. Going head first into Patrick’s character, I understood, connected, and admired his amazing sleuthing skills. And not only Pat; Steven went deep with every character he touched—Tessa, Alexei, Cassandra, Terry…the reader is given an amazing glimpse into the characters view point, mindset, and motives. It’s rare that I read a book where the author does this so well with many characters, not just the main ones—but Steven James has done just that. My favorite character would have to be the complex assassin, Alexei. He totally intrigued me and I always looked forward to another scene with him in it. The way his story ends…leaves a lot to be pondered!

The complexity of this book was amazing. There were times that I was nearly overwhelmed with all the facts and mind-whirling events that often took place back to back. I was astonished when I realized that the entire book spanned over only a few days’ time! But in all that, Steven never drops his impeccable plot or let it waver. Everything is tight and rushes along till the very end.

Steven James writing style and rhythm made it easy to get lost in The Queen. From the very beginning, I was pulled into this story that showed more of the darker side of life than one normally sees. Because of this, I wouldn’t recommend it to younger teen readers. Violence is present in rather large doses throughout the whole book. There is also some talk about a previous, brief affair that happened between two characters in the past, though it’s stated more than once that they never slept together. I personally found no problem with the violence in this book, so, if you can handle blood and gore, I recommend this to mature suspense fans everywhere!

While The Queen is the first book I’ve ever read by Steven James, it won’t be my last. I’m already looking up the others in his collection of Patrick Bower Thrillers. I was really glad to get the opportunity to be introduced to this author’s amazing books. And from the way The Queen ends, it looks like Valkyrie might just be returning in a later Patrick Bower Thriller! If you want to be taken off on a wild ride that will have you second-guessing and sitting at the edge of your seat to the very end…I highly encourage you to try out The Queen!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen.

09/12/2011 page 10
2.0% "*does a happy dance* Yay! I'm diving in!!!!"
09/12/2011 page 78
15.0% "Love the depth of the characters---and so early on in the book!"
09/14/2011 page 244
47.0% "really good!!"

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Candy oh girl you have to start from the beginning!! run to your bookstore and pick up The Pawn! My all time favorite serries!!

Katie Oh really? Got it on my wishlist. :-D Coolio!!!