Katie's Reviews > Dry as Rain

Dry as Rain by Gina Holmes

Nov 08, 11

Read from November 04 to 06, 2011

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Hearing a lot of praises for Gina Holmes’ debut novel, Crossing Oceans, I was really excited to get the opportunity to review her next release, Dry as Rain. While the writing and depth of emotions in this book was amazing, something about the story as a whole rubbed me wrong. Even now that I finished it, I cannot name exactly what it is I did not like about it.

Eric and Kyra marriage is down the tubes and their son, Benji, is suddenly faced with a midlife crisis. The book is set in first person, from Eric’s point of view, thus giving me a very unique view of the story. While I understood Eric was far from perfect and enjoyed watching him grow throughout the story, I had a hard time liking him. The way he handled things and what he did had me on the verge of being depressed!

Because part of their broken marriage is because of an affair Eric had with a (much younger) coworker, I wouldn’t recommend Dry as Rain for teens. But it isn’t really directed toward younger readers anyway.
So, while I didn’t find Dry as Rain as captivating a read as I had hoped, I would suggest reading more reviews before coming to a conclusion. This book just didn’t work for me—but it might for you.

Gina Holmes’ writing was wonderful and writing in such a way, it was almost an effortless read! Seriously, I found myself flying easily through the pages; just taking the story in. I can now understand how she became a bestselling author with her debut novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry as Rain.