Amanda Linehan's Reviews > Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry

Behind the Cloud by Marc Benioff

Aug 29, 2011

Read from August 22 to 29, 2011

You know what? I wasn't expecting much from this book, because I got it for free at the Boston-area SaleForce expo earlier this summer, and I thought "sure, the CEO gives away copies of his book, they must really want to upsell me on their product and the book is going to suck." In fact, it was way better than expected.

It talks about not just how SalesForce as a company got started, which is interesting from a business standpoint, but the evolution of cloud computing as a concept. Though I understood that before I read the book, I felt that reading Marc Benioff's story will help me explain the concept to others at work who are looking for answers about the cloud.

It's set up as a "playbook" with 111 tips for starting a business and successfully running that startup. I found the ideas and experiences that he outlines to be useful for my current job as well as any future positions I might have. I also felt that reading the book was good preparation for the SalesForce annual conference, "Dreamforce," which I attended the last week of August 2011. All in all, I'd recommend this to anyone interested in reading one tech entrepreneur's story, or anyone about to implement SalesForce at their organization.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Cloud.

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan My brother-in-law just got a job with Amazon working on their cloud programming.

Amanda Linehan Fun! Amazon is supposed to be great to work for, I've heard -- sounds awesome for him.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan I think it would be fun to say, "I program the clouds" for a living. Makes him sound like a wizard.