Jeremiah's Reviews > If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff

Apr 14, 08

bookshelves: kids-books

I know a ton of people love this book, but not me. The illustrations aren't horrible and neither are they uniquely memorable; moreover, the story is uninteresting and bland. What type of thought went into this book anyway? I've met Laura and she's a nice lady, but give me a break! The story is cute, but it is just a bland series of partially logical observations made by the author about this mouse.
If Laura can come up with a book like this and publish it, then I have lost a lot of confidence in the quality of children's book out in the market-not too mention the motives of publishers (hmmm...money not quality). I could come up with something similar, so let me try (I might just publish it later).
If you give a dog some food he might want some water. If you give a dog some water he might want a walk. If you give a dog a walk he might want a snack. If you give a dog a snack he might want a nap....get my boring drift.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.

Rebecca I just reviewed this book myself and saw this negative review so just wanted to agree that while it's perfect for my 2-year-old, older kids will likely find it a little dry. But then, my guess is that this book is designed for kids that are younger ... :)

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eva Leger I so agree with you. My review was nowhere near as nice as yours but I totally agree with your points. This is a mess.

April Knapp Except the mouse does cute little human-like things that surprise children. That's the charm in it. A dog eating, drinking and walking is every day and mundane

message 4: by Bekah (new) - added it

Bekah I loved this book as a kid.
And to you people who say it is unrealistic, uncomplicated,
IT IS A KIDS BOOK!
its meant to entertain kids not us.
kids would hate, "If you give a mouse a cookie he will run away, the end." And would not understand a complicated book about what mice eat!
It's for kids and every kid I have ever read it to loved it.

Gardy Lamarre I love this book Senes I was a little kid