Suzie Grogan's Reviews > The Return of Captain John Emmett

The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller

4201567
Sep 04, 11

Read from August 29 to September 04, 2011

Well - what to say. Would i recommend this book? I wanted to know what happened next; it is about shell shock and the mental torment of soldiers in the Great War, a subject I am very interested in. But I can only give it 3 stars because, quite honestly, it was ultimately predictable and unsatisfying to a certain degree - caused I think by lengthy explanations of events and motives by characters other than the lead that made it a little plodding in places.

It was as if the author let her characters do all the talking, not to offer a finely drawn picture of them but to blur the edges and draw attention away from some dodgy plotting. Coincidences abound - at the end there is a classic 'oh and I just remembered' moment that resolved a worrying loose end and actually I had little sympathy with anyone involved.

Still, these criticisms have been leveled at authors of many a bestseller and it is a proper page turner.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Return of Captain John Emmett.