Nikki's Reviews > Snake Agent

Snake Agent by Liz Williams

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, mystery, speculative-fiction, cyberpunk
Read on August 22, 2011

Snake Agent is mostly urban fantasy, with a touch of cyberpunk if you think about the technology involved in the bioweb, which turned out not to be just background and world-building, but a serious part of the plot. It's notable because it relies more on Eastern mythology and culture than Western: however, as with Liz Williams' other book, Empire of Bones, it didn't feel all that different.

A couple of other reviewers note their problems with Inari, and the lack of importance of female characters in the book. I have to say, I see where that's coming from. Inari spends most of her time running away and longing for someone else's protection; the other women are mostly dead or inconsequential, aside from two goddesses who do play important roles. Also, menstrual blood is a hellish, hellish thing in this world. Women's bodies are so icky, right?

Anyway, nonetheless I found it quite fun, and I loved the badger-teakettle. I wish there'd been more with the demon hunter and the naive sergeant -- they felt very incidental.

I'll be reading more of Liz Williams' books, I think -- unless the same problems just keep coming up again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snake Agent.