Cindy's Reviews > Skippyjon Jones

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner

Aug 22, 11

I own a copy

We have loved Skippyjon for ages, and this, the first book in the series, is one of our favorites. Skippy is a young Siamese with a big imagination who likes to think he is a Chihuahua. Be warned: it is totally not PC - I read at least a third of it doing my best Speedy Gonzales impression. It is charming and funny, though, and the best thing about it is the language and word play. There are even a few songs thrown in for extra fun. The illustrations are wonderful, and the characters are engaging. I especially love Mama Junebug Jones and all the nick names she uses for Skippy, and the Chimichangas, a group of Chihuahuas who are Skippy's pretend friends. Skippy himself is super curious and imaginative, but also all rascal. He often disobeys his mom, so beware of that too. We just talk about what a scamp he is and how he wouldn't be able to behave like that in OUR house. Frankly, my youngest probably bounces on his bed more than Skippy does, but we won't go there. His mama loves him even when he's been bad, though, so we figure he'll turn out ok. It's a great read-aloud book, and there are many more in the series, some better than others. Well worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skippyjon Jones.