Anya's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

May 19, 12

bookshelves: bamf-book-boyfriends, dystopian, sci-fi, ya, alex-on-my-mind, lingual-pheromone
Read in February, 2012

Love, the deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.
The first time I had a crush on a boy, I was in sixth grade.Not that the world started bursting with technicolor all of a sudden but *giggleblush* I kind of started looking forward to pass by his class and shoot sidelong (and not so subtle) glances at him (given my 12 year old excited delirious self and all that newly found stalkerish abilities). And I used to think he was the awesomest boy to ever walk the corridors of the school (Not exactly fabulous on the face front, but i could live with that).

And when he smiled at me, I swear my tummy would do a somersault on a trampoline and my face would go so hot that it seemed like i had been standing in the sun for hours. Well sadly,he never found out that i was bonkers about him cos i never gathered up the courage to advance up to the fess up level.

My friends saw all the symptoms- furious denial, the goofy grin plastered on my face nearly all the time, my new chameleon superpowers (face going from a mellow normal to a healthy tomato red to shameful beet red).Apparently, the fact that i was crushing was as clear as day but you know, being in like is so embarrassing for 12 year olds.

So this is how amor deliria nervosa goes. You get this intense and the most beautiful feeling in the world: You are hopeful. That's a BIG STRONG WORD. It's so...so emotionally consuming.

Magdalena is really looking forward to the procedure- it's a few more days away when she turns 18 and life without pain, heartbreak and emotional trauma that comes with it. She gets really wary when a boy starts to befriend her cos she's scared she might 'contract' love.

“Why do you care?” I say, barely a whisper.
“I told you,” he whispers back. I can feel his breath just
tickling the space behind my ear, making the hair prick up
on my neck. “I like you.”
“You don’t know me,” I say quickly.
“I want to, though.”

But then again she's always looking forward to their meetings cos she's intrigued and let's just face it, a bit attracted.

Even though Alex is only a year
older than I am, we’re separated, irreparably and totally, by
the procedure. He might as well be my grandfather.

It's really beautiful- the description of being in love, the surreal feeling that makes you float.And then there's what love can do to you. Daydreaming becomes your profession, the lying game, and your heart turns into an athlete running on sprints whenever his lips are on your skin. It's amazingly maddening.

Gee, I wonder what took me this long to read this book when i had it pickling on shelf for almost a year.Anyhoo, i am glad i picked it.Better late than never, yeah?

THEME SONG- OUTLAWS OF LOVE by ADAM LAMBERT

♪♫♪Everywhere we go we're looking for the sun
Nowhere to grow old, we're always on the run
They say we'll rot in Hell, but I don't think we will
They've branded us enough Outlaws of Love.♪♫♪

On second thought, this song tells about the taboo faced by gays everyday. But it fits just the same.Remember, GOD LOVES US EQUALLY.

ps And Alex,I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Anya Liked

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“I run for I don't know how long. Hours, maybe, or days. Alex told me to run. So I run. You have to understand. I am no one special. I am just a single girl. I am five feet two inches tall and I am in-between in every way. But I have a secret. You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope,and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me - such bullshit.”

Lauren Oliver
“That's all I want. Just you and me. Always.”

Lauren Oliver
“Now I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”
tags: love

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Srinivas (new)

Srinivas i, too , had a crush on a girl. i did several silly, funny, never though i will do like things, just to see her face everyday.

ur review just brought back that memory, now its flashing in my eyes, swirling in my mind and galloping in my heart.

nice review..

message 2: by Anya (last edited Apr 10, 2012 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anya Srinivas wrote: "i, too , had a crush on a girl. i did several silly, funny, never though i will do like things, just to see her face everyday.

ur review just brought back that memory, now its flashing in my eyes..."

gracias mon ami. I am glad you liked it.

Megha Love your review :) I've wanted to read this book FOREVER, and I finally reserved it from the library. Glad to know it's a good book!

Anya Megha wrote: "Love your review :) I've wanted to read this book FOREVER, and I finally reserved it from the library. Glad to know it's a good book!"

This book is amazing to infinity. I bet you'd like it (:

Stephanie im reading this as well as catching fire...I'm hoping to finish catching fire at some point today because it is too good to put down but i am still enjoying delirium it has a mysterious vibe that dragged me in =)