Gloria Mundi's Reviews > Ender in Exile

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Jul 18, 14

bookshelves: dnf, science-fiction, wtf, aliens, series-abandoned, space-travel, author-is-an-a-hole, ya-fiction
Read in August, 2011

I gave up after about 20 pages or so. The conversation between the parents at the very beginning felt very staged and completely re-defined them as charaters. Apparently, they knew all along what was going on, loved Ender deeply and just allowed their children to believe that they were blind dumbos, while really subtly manipulating them the whole time. WTF, why on earth would they do that? It then moved on to Valentine's introspections and rationalisations and later to Ender's thoughts on Gruff's trial, lest the reader might actually interpret anything that happened in the first book for themselves. I lost my patience for the whole thing at that point and had no will to go on.

I might pick up the series at some point in the future. Maybe. If I do, I will do so with Speaker for the Dead, which is the second book in order of being written, rather than the order of events in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender in Exile.