Kelly 's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: fiction, friendship, love-story
Read from August 22 to 23, 2011

The technique of contrasting Emma and Dexter's stories for 20 years and focusing on a day each year is a neat idea, and seeing cultural changes for 20 years was interesting as well.

However, I did not feel this was a great love story the way others did. I found Dexter to be unlovable and actually quite pathetic and disgusting at times. What was it that made these two finally (after Dexter's promiscuity, then marriage, rise to fame and plummet as well; and Emma's failed relationship with Ian but success as an author)fall in love with each other?

And then... SPOILER SO STOP READING NOW.... to have the book end with A City of Angels cliche - and I really mean City of Angels because Emma is biking just like in the movie!!!! That angered me. I don't think the author could see these two sustaining their love so perhaps killing Emma off solved that problem?! The book also reminds me of the movie Same Time Next Year (the one day a year check ins with the characters does this).

I liked the story, but I expected MUCH MORE based on friends' reviews of the book. I also think the book is a bit slow and steady; I guess it's a long saga. I did like it but I didn't love it.

Okay, I've thought about this book some more (and have slept on it). The book is honest and painfully rings true about the complexities of love and friendship and that love/relationships are hard. I liked the second half of the book much more than the first half. If I could give the book 3.5 stars, I would, but I am unwilling to give it 4 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.