James Gates's Reviews > Five Go Adventuring Again

Five Go Adventuring Again by Enid Blyton

M_50x66
Aug 22, 11

I was introduced to the Famous Five books by my father who read them as a child. The second book in the series is my personal favourite as you already know the characters from the first story and so the plot moves along faster.

To me the book shows how different children view authority. George is the rebellious one who although has justification for disliking the tutor, Mr. Rowland (he does not like dogs), she shows little respect for him or her father. Anne on the other hand feels that Mr. Rowland is there to help them learn and although she is scared of him like the rest of the children, she often has to be coerced into doing the "wrong" thing.

The book uses maps, secret tunnels and codes as its appeal to children and although I personally find it exciting and enchanting I can see how it may fall out of Consciousness in the modern day context when childrens activities like scouts, girl guides and exploration are being replaced with gaming, social networking and other forms of technology. Similarly, the illustrations are fantastic and move along with the story expertly, I just wonder if they would be as relevant/striking in the minds of children of today.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Go Adventuring Again.