Colleen's Reviews > License to Pawn: Deals, Steals, and My Life at the Gold & Silver

License to Pawn by Rick Harrison

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: biographic
Read from August 21 to 24, 2011

I bought this for my husband since he's obsessed with the show. Of course, just like his obsession means I watch a lot of episodes of Pawn Stars, since he enjoyed the book I wound up reading it too. The main surprise is how much more gritty it is than the show--which makes sense, on the one hand, but on the other, I have huge respect for the Harrisons for keeping the show focused on the main point: the neat stuff that comes into the store. Any other show on any other channel would have romped in the sordid 'drug addiction stories' that each character could have held up for the TV viewing audience. Instead, they're handled in a sober, fair-minded way here, as part and parcel of who the characters--and the store--are in the larger context.

This book reads as though the touristy Las Vegas of the show and the seedy, scummy Las Vegas of the darker side of real life had a charmingly rough-edged baby. A fun light read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read License to Pawn.