Ariel's Reviews > The Forgotten Affairs of Youth: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel

The Forgotten Affairs of Youth by Alexander McCall Smith

Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: sunday-philosophy-club, first-reads
Read in January, 2012

Thank you to Goodreads and Pantheon for providing me with a copy of this book to review.

I love the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. Every spring I highly anticipate the new book in that series. While I love that series I just kind of really like the Sunday Philosophy Club, at least enough to keep reading each new entry. In this go around we find Isabel assisting a fellow visiting philosopher with investigating her family tree. As is often the case there is a tricky moral dilemma associated with this case and Isabel is left debating whether she did the correct thing. There are also some philosophical explorations of God and the meaning of living a spiritual life. Cat is as dismal and mean spirited as ever. I have lost patience with her and honestly can't see why Isabel keeps bothering with her. On the positive side Brother Fox has a son and a significant development is made in Isabel's personal life. You can count this in as another sweet and heart warming addition to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Affairs of Youth.