Jenelle's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Erica O'Rourke

Apr 24, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: embarrassed-to-admit-i-ve-read, urban-fantasy, wont-finish-series, ya, read-in-2011, lowered-expectation-love
Read in November, 2011

I guess I should have looked more closely to see that the 4 star rating only came from 200 and some readers, but c'mon people, where are your standards?

A great looking cover (even if the girl does have a slightly droopy eye which is charmingly realistic instead of photo-shopped to the Uncanny Valley), does not mean a great book.

Neither does the tension of two out-of-her-league hot guys, competing for the perpetually nerdy/clumsy/under-appreciated/unconsciously attractive shy girl who is determined to be a reckless, impulsive Nancy Drew Supergirl.

Especially when that 'tension' is pretty non-existent... unless you count all the arguing, which reads simply like arguing, not thinly veiled flirtation or even attraction.

Don't tell me it was the drawl. Seriously?

Wait. It was because they were both over 20, isn't it? I admit, not many YA novels venture to let a jail-bait high schooler hook up with an older, dangerous, *experienced* hot guy, let alone two. She must be pretty amazing to be that tempting-- I mean, character's keep saying it, but there really isn't much proof it's actually true. Luckily, the guys fail to live up to their descriptions as well, so as long as your standards are sufficiently mediocre, and all you need is a little lustful kissy-face to stir your tender teenage longings, than this lackluster love triangle may have been intoxicating enough to muster up the 4 stars.

Certainly it wasn't the story. I mean, the first 11 chapters were so. slow. Blah, blah, blah-- useless, repetitive dialogue on top of inconsistent details and gaping plot holes. Yeah, and what was with the paranormal element in all this? It is just so...vague. I guess that's how the flat, lifeless characters accept it all so readily: they don't need any more justification than the author happens to hint at. Lucky them.

Really, it's all so vastly pointless-- the characters, the story-- the whole bland mess of it. I can't even force myself to care about it, but I made myself finish it, the 4 stars giving me false hope the book would somehow be redeemed by the end. See? I got suckered into it too.

9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.

Kellen I don't agree either, and while I definitely agree that the one male love interest was a stretch the other was pretty much her age, and I think she built the case for the fascination he might have. He spent the summer with her best friend who he says talked about her a LOT. He doesn't know a lot of 'flats' so it seems a natural line to follow. Colin on the other hand I had issues with myself. The build up was slow, and ironically I was just as curious about Verity, the so called plot device that set the story in motion. I think she has an interesting concept. I'd give it a 3.5 to be honest.

message 2: by Jana (new) - rated it 1 star

Jana I very much AGREE with your comments! Argumentative sullen teen: "I want revenge!"
Guy: "oh, this is bad.. This is so bad you don't even want to know how bad it is!"
The whole time. Gack.