Kim's Reviews > Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way

Three Cups of Deceit by Jon Krakauer

F 50x66
Sep 25, 2011

liked it

This was a quick & easy read, though not one of my favorites by Krakauer. I was a believer in Greg Mortensen's work and was so disappointed when all the discrepancies came to light. This book didn't really cover anything I hadn't already heard about, but backed up the questions with facts and pointed out untruths.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Deceit.

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine It's interesting to hear your take on it, Kim. I'm not sure whether I want to read it or not. Krakauer.. I think his credibility is problematic for me - not this book specifically, but "Into Thin Air" has been disputed as to it's accuracy by several of the involved climbers from the fateful Everest expeditions.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Really? I hadn't heard that. That does add another level to this. Why can't everybody just be honest and kind?!

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I'm sure there the truth lies midway between the two, but Krakauer does tend to come across as bitter in his account in "Into Thin Air", at least taking into account the other viewpoints I've read (and I'm kind of obsessed with Everest and have read anything I can get my hands on... ;p)

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Yes, that's true. I thought the bitterness was due to the circumstances but who knows. Interesting, thanks for sharing!