Loves To Dive's Reviews > The Lost

The Lost by Caridad Piñeiro

F_50x66
Aug 21, 11

(I have not read the first two books in this series - but this novel can stand alone)

Adam Salvatore is different; his earliest memory is of waking up ill in his adopted father’s home and shifting into the family dog’s form. He doesn’t know exactly what powers he possesses, and he doesn’t know how he got them. He’s determined to discover the limit of his powers, testing them in secret in his basement and not telling his father.

Bobbie Carerra is a veteran Marine, wounded in combat in Iraq. She just wants the peace that comes from being with her family and to try to forget the day her entire unit was blown up. She spends her days in physical rehabilitation and trying to put her life back together.

While waiting for her brother to get off work, Bobbie sees Adam attacked by two men. Without thinking, her training kicks in and she wades into the fray. Afterwards, when Bobbie and Adam touch, sparks fly, literally, and nothing will be the same. Now Bobbie and Adam must try to figure out Adam’s power, discover who is after him, and deal with their electrical attraction to each other.

Ms. Piñeiro has given us a fast paced, sizzling tale of non-stop action and heated passion. Adam is a self-made millionaire, easy on the eyes, vulnerable and strong at the same time. He is determined to figure out exactly who and what he is, he isn’t sure how to harness his powers and fears harming others so keeps to himself. I liked him as soon as I met him as a scared child, and fell a little in love with him as a grown man. Bobbie is a beautiful, kick ass Marine, she fears she will not fit into this new world of hers, wounded not only in body but soul as well. I have to say, I liked her as soon as I met her as well, she was in pain and determined not to give in to it.

The combination of Bobbie and Adam was a sight to see; they played off each other’s strengths and supported each other’s weaknesses well. Adam’s father Salvatore Bruno is a CIA agent and we get the feeling right from the beginning that all is not as it seems with him. I waffled back and forth on how I felt about him, alternately liking him and hating him. The mystery of Adam’s powers slowly unfolds for us, along the way we learn more about his birth family and their mortal enemies.

I enjoyed the way Ms. Piñeiro slowly gave us bits and pieces of each characters story and built the suspense little by little until the crashing end. The bad guys are truly bad guys, yet even they have some mystery about them and I found myself actually feeling sorry for them at times.

While at its core, this is your typical paranormal romance with good guy and good girl falling in love and fighting the bad guys, there is a good mystery going on as well. I have to admit, I did have some problems following exactly what Adam’s powers were and would have been more comfortable had I had a little more back story on the shadows and hunters. I’m still not sure who and what they are. Here’s hoping we get some more back-story in the sequel.

This is a quick read; I devoured it in one sitting, not putting it down until I was finished. There is some violence, not too graphic but it is there. There are some sensual, smoldering sex scenes, all tastefully written. I recommend to anyone who enjoys their paranormal romance mixed with a touch of science and a small mystery thrown in. Pick up this book and immerse yourself in the world of the sin hunters.

Member of the Paranormal Romance Guild Review Team

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost.