Martha Schwalbe's Reviews > Rotters

Rotters by Daniel Kraus

F 50x66
Aug 21, 2011

Read in August, 2011

When my grandmother dies, she wished to be buried with her wedding ring. My sister and I complied, yet a friend told us not to bury it with her. Part of me wants to dig up her grave and learn whether someone has dug her up already and taken her rings.
People are buried with their cell phones now and based upon the other research Mr. Kraus did I have to assume this is true. How did the author meet the "Diggers" who were willing to share information with him? This job seems much harder even than being a double-agent. How does one go about getting into this line of work.
My heart went out to Ken Harnett and the rest of the Diggers. What a way to live? What possesses someone to live like these men? I understand the grave robbers of the 1800s who secured cadavers for doctors who worked to study the human body and look how far medicine and antomy has evolved from those early days. To earn money stealing what's buried with people seems like a lot of work for very little pay.
I tried hard to picture the muscle development of these men. By placing a shovel in my hands I can almost see it; I don't recall having ever seen this body type in the light of day. I am also curious about cemetary markings and feel a great desire to visit one, especially in the dark so see if indeed those markings exist. I do remember several times in my life being shown maps of cemetaries in order to locate my family's plot.
Many decades ago I determined that I'd like to be chopped up and fed to the fish. Since that won't happen I plan to be cremated. I liked Harnett's definition of execreation although I've never heard this definition before. I wonder if it is Digger jargon.
I'm not sure to whom I'd recommend this book, but I think it would make a great read for reluctant readers because there's so much to discuss.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rotters.