Lavonne's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Of course, as the next installment of Jim Butcher's wizard series, every Dresden fan will be running to the book store or library to find out the answer to the cliff hanger at the end of "Changes". It was amusing to read the author's note before reading this novel that "Changes" did not end on a cliff hanger. As you start to read this novel, you realize why. Harry really is dead. Hmmm, really?

This story has the usual mix of magic, fantasy, and all the characters we've come to know and love, as well as Harry's friends deep in trouble and fights between humans and non-humans, trading punches and spells. However, in this story, Harry has gained a new perspective. (Being dead can do that for you, I suppose.) He is looking back on his life and wondering if he made all the right choices, as he always ran in with magical guns blazing and asked questions later. He seems on the verge of gaining ... dare I say it? ... wisdom. Gulp.

I applaud Butcher's transformation from a slightly shaky start with "Storm Front", to this novel, that begins to look deeper and more meaningfully at life around Harry. The characters, such as Butters and Mortimer, that revolve around Harry are given more than bit parts, with personalities expanding on the page. I really wish you could give half stars, because this is definately a "4-and-a halfer". Not perfect, but very well done. Butcher is starting to flex his literary muscles and it can only get better from here.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.