Rick Daley's Reviews > The King of Lies

The King of Lies by John Hart

Aug 29, 11

Read from August 21 to 29, 2011

I read the Kindle edition, and to be honest to abundance of typos was staggering. I'm not faulting the author, but if it was my book I would be in serious discussions with my publisher to avoid putting out any of my works in such poor quality. I counted over 50 typos, many were a single sentence with several typos. It seems that no one proofed the digital copy before it went to print.

The most common was a single quote instead of a double quote at the start of dialogue, but there were instances where no quotes were used; spaces in the middle of words; em dashes with spaces preceding them sometimes, other times without spaces; "I'll" spelled as "I'ii" and two sentences so garbled I have no idea what they were supposed to say.

Needless to say, this had a profound impact on how I perceived the story as a whole because every few pages another typo would pop up, and it became very distracting.

The story itself was written in a suspenseful manner, and I enjoyed the first half of the book. The second half was good, but I thought the climax and "whodunnit" came out of left field. That's fine for me now guessing who it was, but it seemed contrived.

Some parts of the story seemed melodramatic and cliche; for instance, the protagonists sister had two life-altering events brought on by drunk driving.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS: She loses a high school friend when their car is hit by a drunk driver; later her husband is having sex with the babysitter in a car parked in a rest area when it is hit by a drunk driver.

There is a bum who walks the park, and the protagonist befriends him. On their first meeting, we see the bum's hands are badly mangled. In a later scene, the bum says "I want to tell you about my hands" and I was expecting a big, profound revelation and interesting story. It was anti-climactic when he says he was a POW in Vietnam (explains the hands in one line) and then goes on to talk about why he walks and the fact the he witnessed the killer leaving the scene of the crime. The hands had very little to do with it, other than provide misleading suspense and act as a throw-away catalyst for a reveal.

I did appreciate the narrative prose and Hart's writing style, and overall I do not regret having read this. It did draw me in quickly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Lies.