Bird's Reviews > Silent in the Sanctuary

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: cozies-mysteries-detective, historical-fiction, library-reads, read-in-2011
Read in August, 2011

This book breaks so many of my "rules," yet I love it anyway. It relies heavily on descriptions, some of which are long-winded and flowery. The descriptions cover everything from the landscape to architecture to people's clothes. The foreshadowing is heavy-handed to say the least (as in, "I should have known that would be the last time I ever saw him"). And, while technically a mystery, there are many points in the story that do not further the mystery at all.

Yet I'm nearly falling in love with this series, despite its many flaws. In another book, written by a different author, I would have likely put it down and never returned to it. But Deanna Raybourn has a way of drawing me so completely into the story that I'm somewhat surprised to stop reading and find myself in 21st century America, instead of London in the 1880's. How her writing is so evocative, I have no idea, but I do know that I feel like I'm in the story while reading, and Julia seems so real to me, I imagine she could step right off the page.

I've already started the third in the series, and am torn between wanting to tear through the series as quickly as possible, or slowing down to make it last longer. (Tearing through it nearly always wins for me...patience isn't really a part of my repertoire.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Sanctuary.