Wulfette Noire's Reviews > The Angel's Game

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Oct 08, 11

Read from August 27 to October 06, 2011

I'm not sure if I'm just not in the right mood or what's really going on with my taste today. Angel's Game failed to give me the same thrill and fascination as its predecessor, Shadow of the Wind.

While gripping and full of mystery, the story in Angel's Game felt a bit dragging. I love going into the mind of a slightly mad/ anti-social writing (probably feeling as if I can relate to him), but the main story and the mystery seemed to suddenly all popped out towards the end.

And even when it does pop out, it felt like a horror fest instead of the same anxiety-building feeling I've encountered while reading Shadow of the Wind. We see the main character finding mysterious room where an eerie looking live-size Harlequin seemed to be watching him from the mirror. There are other circumstances where I could not really mention without giving out spoilers that felt as if it came straight from a B-horror movie.

I don't mind the horror, I just felt as if they were scattering all over the place without real impact.

I'm a big fan of Zafon and was quite surprise that in the end I would have to give this book only three stars. It is an interesting read, but I felt so much more could be done with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.

08/27/2011 page 137