noseinbookC's Reviews > Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy

Naked City by Ellen Datlow

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: shelf-2011, anthology, urban-fantasy
Read in August, 2011

This rating is only for the following:

"Fairy Gifts" by Patricia Briggs - 5-star
It's a wonderful story told in few words but weaved together with rich details, excellent writings and sympathetic characters that feels real. I especially like the way Briggs tells her story; it's that ability of a good author to sweep readers off their feet and carry them along with her/him. Loved it!

(Given that I only read one story in this, I've toned down the rating to 4-star for the book. But "Fairy Gifts" was 5-star all the way.)

UPDATE: Decided I should give the other stories a chance and randomly tried some based on other reviews:

"Priced to Sell" by Naomi Novick - Uh huh. It's an insight into how wretched NY real estate can be, but (view spoiler). Has potentials though. 2 or 3-star.

"Guns for the Dead" by Melissa Marr - ... Ok? What's the point of the story? 1-star.

"Noble Rot" by Holly Black - Not bad, but didn't grab me either. Plot feels a bit hole-y; it can't be that simple to (view spoiler). 2-star.

"Curses" by Jim Butcher - Finally, random reading is worthwhile sometimes. Pretty fun, no fireworks but I'll check out the main series in future. 3-star.

Perhaps I should lower the rating for the anthology now?
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked City.

Julia If you like Patricia Briggs' series, I think it's likely you will also like Jim Butcher's. However, Storm Front's a rocky start for some folks. You might consider starting with #3 in the books.