Mickey Reed's Reviews > Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, arc, around-the-world-tour
Recommended for: YA fans, murder mystery fans, amateur sleuth fans.
Read from August 21 to 23, 2011, read count: 1

I received this from Around The World ARC Tours. Here is my honest review.

Hartley is sarcastic and entertaining, but if she bit her lip one more time I might have had to smack her. That really bothers me. Don't you realize when you're writing that you're completely overusing a phrase? Ugh. Anyway.. moving on.

Besides that, I did think this book was funny and amusing. It's slightly predictable, as I did figure out the killer before the person was announced in the book. And other things are a bit transparent as well. But that's okay. It's a very quick read, and I had fun while reading it.

I actually now want to read her adult stuff to see how they compare. I love adult fiction as well.. I just find YA to be faster and lighter. I think it's kind of neat that this is a YA murder mystery, be it far-fetched. And Hartley and gang are no investigators, but they pull it off of course.

I'd give this 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding down on Goodreads because of the lip-biting. Honestly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Cool.

08/21/2011 page 44
16.0% "This is funny!"
08/21/2011 page 70
26.0% "If this girl keeps biting her lip, she won't have one soon!"
08/21/2011 page 95
35.0% "Enough with the lip biting!!!"
08/21/2011 page 121
44.0% "Now everyone is biting their lips!!! ugh."
08/21/2011 page 145
53.0% "No more lip biting please? lol"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I just read a book that used the word "presently" over and over again. Presently, I'm annoyed just thinking about it.

Mickey Reed Hahahaha it's so irritating, isn't it?? It happens more often than it should, in my opinion.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Agreed. And you would think if the author didn't catch it, the editor would. Beyond irritating.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly And I find that I give a book a lower rating if that happens. Even if I loved the plot, the characters, I couldn't put it down, etc., I usually end up dropping a star if the language annoys me. Something like that can ruin a book for me.

Mickey Reed Absolutely. I would have rounded up, like I said, but that's just a big no-no! It's so distracting!!

Becca YES. I'm reading it right now and the lip biting is seriously pissing me off! I've counted seven lip bites in the first quarter of the novel.

Mickey Reed Buckle up for more!