Scott Bagley's Reviews > Live Wire

Live Wire by Harlan Coben

Aug 23, 11

I'm a fan of Harlan Coben. Let me change that up a little, I'm a HUGE fan of his stand-alone books, the Myron Bolitar books rub me wrong at least a little bit. I've read all the stand-alones (I think), and was jonsing for some Coben, so I gave this one a try. It's ... well, it's ok, but I don't love it. I like the tone and the Bolitar character. My biggest problem is Win. Maybe it's because I've missed the early books in the series which may tell us a little more about this guy, this book does tell us that they are old friends, and I'm good with that, but still. A hugely rich guy who is the equivalent of Thurston Howell from Gilligan's Island stepping in to rough up whomever is messing with Bolitar, and being resourseful enough to appear at the drop of a hat just does not work for me at all. Also, not to stereotype, but, most filthy rich people aren't all that charitable, they of often very selfish (sorry about that, all you filthy rich people).

There is a pretty good plot going on here, and I expect that from Coben, and some emotion to go along with the story line as well, thus the 3 star rating.

I won't go out and read another Bolitar any time soon, but something tells me I should give the first one a try just to see if there is some set up in the series that I have missed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live Wire.