ananka's Reviews > Tankborn

Tankborn by Karen Sandler

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: adventure, cloning, coming-of-age, friendship, futuristic, smart-girl, slavery, teen, tween
Read in August, 2011

When earth became uninhabitable, the rich decided to pack up and head into space. Realizing they needed laborers to build the ships and their new homes, they brought along indentured servants creating instant hierarchy and discord. To placate the lowborn, the rich created another race to serve, these were the the Tankborn (rather than natural born). These new people were enhanced with animal dna and programmed with special skills that could help them in their labors. Kayla is a tankborn and at the age of 16 she is assigned to help an old man with his basic needs, but things are not what they seem and Kayla finds herself in the middle of a quiet revolution that goes against everything she's been taught.

Tankborn has a good balance of explaining the science behind the world and character development. The class unrest and profiling felt very probable to me and everything was easy to follow. The story was full of twists and I never felt like I knew what was coming, so it kept me interested all the way through.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tankborn.